Laboratories & Pharmaceuticals Flooring
The commercial flooring challenges faced by the pharmaceutical industry include managing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) established within the industry, as well as adhering to oversight from the CDC, FDA, and USDA. Some of these challenges include:
- Impact resistance
- Antibacterial solutions
- Abrasion resistance
- Skid resistance
- Easy to clean and maintain
- FDA compliant
- Resistance to chemical spills
- High light reflectivity
Our experience with industrial floor coatings for the pharmaceutical industry generally includes the following solutions:
- Resinous flooring–including industrial epoxy, acrylic, and polyurethane–are great options. These are applied as a liquid in as many layers as necessary to meet the thickness requirements. In the planning process for commercial resinous flooring, we discuss the requirements for impact resistance, thermal shock, abrasion resistance, and chemical resistance. By addressing these, we will also be able to select the right product and chemical formulation to deliver the required flooring solution.
- Vinyl or rubber sheets with heat-welded seams are an inexpensive option for commercial floor coatings. While this is quickly installed and one of the least expensive options, it should only be considered for light traffic areas with minimal ambient temperature changes and movement of machinery or equipment. These factors can cause cracks in seam welds and reduce or eliminate antibacterial requirements.
- Terrazzo is another excellent commercial flooring option. In the planning process, it is important to consider maintenance requirements for the facility. While Terrazzo is long-lasting, it also requires regularly scheduled maintenance, including buffing, honing, and recoating.
Regardless of your decision, every commercial floor choice begins with proper preparation. We will inspect the facility to confirm the state of your substrate and offer repair suggestions if necessary. In addition, we will also offer our suggestions for the best finish solution and complete the project on budget and on time.